Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cigar Review: Tex Cigars House Brand

Cigar review time! Once again, this cigar comes courtesy of my good buddies over at Tex Cigars. Next time you need some cigars, check their site, they have some damn good prices.

The Story:
Not much is known about this cigar. The only information I was given was that it is made by PIO and will soon be Tex Cigars house brand with a price point from $3 to $4. I was lucky enough to smoke 2 of the Toro size (6 X 50) for this review. I am told the blend is from Nicaragua and the Dominican, and the wrapper is an Equadorian Criollo. Sounds like the makings for a nice smoke.

Construction/Pre-light:
The wrapper looked very rough with several veins, and the stogie was a little light for its size. I am told these are a few months from the factory, so they may be a little fresh. The pre-light draw was easy with slight resistance. Not too free, but not tight or plugged. The flavors I got from the pre-light draw was a slight spice on my lips and a nice woodsy/sweet flavor on my palette.

Flavors:
The flavors on this 6X50 Toro were consistent and pleasing. The smoke started with a nice woodsy flavor up front with a very subtle amount of spice. It produces lots of thick white smoke. After a few minutes the slight spice fades and a sweet carmel flavor shines through. This sweetness is more noticeable in the finish and stays on your tongue for sometime. My taste buds really enjoy this sensation. I found this cigar to be a solid medium bodied smoke. Towards the end of the smoke, a slight spice is introduced and a little bitterness. I believe if these are rested a couple more months that bitterness will disappear.

The Burn:
The burn started a little on the crooked side but it corrected itself very well. As you can see by the pictures this cigar had a very nice strong white ash. Only one touch up was required.
Overall:
This cigar was a nice daily smoke. I would recommend this cigar to people that enjoy Criollo wrappers and not so much spice in their cigars. For the price this is an awesome smoke. For that I give this cigar a deserving 7.5 of 10 rating. Solid smoke for a very nice price.

1 comment:

Dale said...

Found you on twitter and added you today. Have you ever been to http://8eightyeight.net/ in Fullerton?