Thursday, October 23, 2008

Cigar Review: Abydos by Warped Cigars

First of all, I have to apologize because I haven't been keeping up my blog as much as I should. I guess I was just grieving over the Dodgers quick exit in the NLCS. Now that I'm over it, its time for another cigar review! I received this cigar direct from Warped Cigars on Monday. It's their new line and needed some reviews to post on forums and what not. So.... here we go!




Overview:
The Abydos looks awesome! It has a nice brown Ecuadorian Habano wrapper. No large veins to speak of, and from what I'm told, it only comes in the 6X48 size, luck for me I have been loving this size lately. The smell on the wrapper is a nice cedar tobacco aroma. Pre-light draw has the perfect amount of resistance.

First 3rd:

Once lit up, I get huge clouds of white flavorful smoke. The first thing I taste is a sweet tobacco flavor. The first thing that came to my mind was molasses or brown sugar. Great flavors through the 1st 3rd with touches of wood on the finish. Usually when I taste wood in my cigars I would describe them as cedar, but this cigar was a little different, a little sweeter. The only way I could describe the wood flavor would be a hickory or something like that. A nice sweet smokey flavor. Very enjoyable.


Second 3rd:
Starts with the same enjoyable sweet woodsy flavors and a hint of vanilla is introduced. The ash on this bad boy is nice and strong and holds on for a little over an inch before falling off. The burn is a pretty straight, and when it wavers, it self corrects. One thing that I normally associate with Habano wrappers is spice, which this cigar has yet to give me. I am beginning to enjoy more spice in my cigars, so I fell this cigar could use just a touch of spice. When the 2nd 3rd comes to a close I get a nice caramel flavor from this stogie.




Final 3rd:
Still produces these awesome consistent flavors throughout. I love the mix of sweet molasses flavor combined with the woodsy smokey flavor and a hint of vanilla and caramel. Once I get to the nub of the Abydos, I get a sweet nutty flavor before I have to put this baby down for good.

Final Thoughts:

This cigar has really impressed me with its complexity in flavors, and the super high quality construction. Being made is Little Havana, FL seems to be the reason behind the awesome construction and quality control. These flavors melded beautifully in my mouth. Trust me when I say, I felt pretty sad putting this cigar down. Ohh how I wish I had some more of these. The more I smoked this cigar the more I thought this cigar would be perfect for casual smoking and daily smoking buddies alike. My casual smoking friends would appreciate the smoothness and sweetness of the Abydos, and my daily smoking friends would love the complexity and construction. At less than $5 a cigar, this should definitely be a must try on any smokers list. To sum up my review I would give it a 9 out of 10. The only thing missing was a little spice in the mix. Had I tasted a hint of spice, I would have been compelled to give the Abydos by Warped Cigars, a 10 of 10.
If you are interested in picking up an Abydos or 5, you can get them exclusively through Warped Cigars. http://www.warpedcigars.com/. Big thanks to them for making some great smokes at an awesome price!

Coming Up:
Hopefully I can get some more reviews up by next week. I'll try and recap my Laughlin trip. Maybe a contest to see if people are actually reading this stupid blog. Leave me comments.... Please? BTW Can you guess what I'm gonna be for Halloween?

No comments: